Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Blessings, Tender Mercies and Small Miracles--Part 1

Blessings


CHEAPER GAS PRICES
Gas prices have been falling  In less than a month prices have dropped by 50 cents a gallon.  I know other parts of the country have prices below $2.00, but we are thrilled with our cheaper gas prices and hope the decline continues.  This has been such a blessing to us as we drive A LOT in our daily tasks.  We have driven 55,000+ miles during the past 15 months. Our car has held up well and we have had no major problems with it.


NORTH CAROLINA IS GREEN EVEN IN THE WINTER

















It is amazing how green North Carolina is even in the middle of winter.  In addition to all the pines, there are leafed trees like live oaks, white oaks and magnolias that stay green year round.  Then today as we were driving back to our apartment after a meeting, I saw these two trees blooming with color the last day of December.  Does anyone know what kind they are?  

I LOVE OUR BACKYARD WILDLIFE















The antics of our backyard squirrels and the birds that visit our feeders have kept us entertained.  Cardinals are my very favorite bird, although the mockingbird is a close second.  I will miss them (and the dogwood tree outside our kitchen window) when we return to Utah.  





















PROGRESS IN WALKING



I don't know if you can read the smaller numbers on my Fitbit printout, but I have been able to walk 2 miles or so a day or 5,000-6,000 steps.  Some days I have reached 10,000.  Yay me!  I still need to use the one arm crutch because of a weak SI joint on the right side, but my knees have given me absolutely no problems and I am enjoying walking again. Stairs are a challenge and I am not setting any speed records, but I feel good.  Bob and I have been blessed with good health and have not had a single day missed because of illness.  The pollen, mold, and pet dander (every home we visit seems to have several rather large pets) sometimes cause our allergies to flare up, but we have been able to keep these under control.  Now if we can just make it through this flu season.

WE ARE HAVING FUN

Serving a mission can, at times, be exhausting, overwhelming, and discouraging.  Things do not always work out as planned.  But along the way there are lighthearted moments that make the hard times easier.





Whether it is learning the actions to "Twelve Days of Christmas" from President Bernhisel. . . . .








enjoying a district meeting with elders in elf costumes. . . . .





or sharing a laugh with some of our crazy members, we have found joy in the journey.






No comments: